Monday, July 2, 2007

Being a Vegetarian

Many people asked me why I wanna be a vegetarian. The reasons i usually gave are : Health reasons (cuz I have gout, and I can't take meat and alcohol according to doctor's advice), and religious reason.

However, sometimes I do feel that being a vegetarian do bring some inconvenience to my friends, especially when they have to find a place that cater to my diet, and have to forgo their "favourite eating place".
When such things happen, i feel quite apologetic, and at the same time, feel bad that i have brought such inconvenience to my friends. Therefore, sometimes, I'd have my meal first before meeting my friends, so that they don't have to restrict the restaurants/foodcourt to only those few that serve veg food.

At such times, i really wonder if i had made the right choice.

Last year, during the Kagyu Monlam, HH Karmapa gave a very important teaching on vegetarianism, and after listening to Karmapa's teachings, I feel that i have really made the right choice. What Karmapa said reaffirm my decision to be a vegetarian.

Other than Karmapa, of course, I also have my shifu here who encourages us to be vegetarian for various reasons. No matter what reason it is, most importantly thing is that i do feel a great deal of difference being a vegetarian compared to those times when i was still a meat-eater. :-)

Hopefully it's not just my diet that matters, but the mind that matters.:-)

Ok, when i am free, i'll look around for nice good vegetarian eateries and restaurants in Singapore and do a brief introduction here.

1 comment:

Sugui said...

U seem to like to blog early early in the morning eh?=) keke

Ever since we stopped eating lunch tog on weekdays, I seldom eat vegetarian.

I can feel the big difference too. Me last time n me now... Esp the "clear mind" that comes with being a vegetarian for more than a few weeks.
The longer I don eat vegetarian food, the harder it is for me to start n sustain, vice versa. The recent trip to moro was... tsk tsk. Just being a vegetarian for 3 days b4hand was such a challenge!)

Now sch undergg prime, i don c vegetarian fd in sch.. so the uphill task even more challenging. sigh