Saturday, February 28, 2009

Korean Temple Part 1

I have long dreamt of going on a pilgrimage to the major temples that have historical value in South Korea. Last year in December, I went on a holiday trip to South Korea, but went to only the usual tourism attraction that all Singaporeans who have visited South Korea have left their footprints there. Due to time constraints and the cold and snowy weather conditions, i wasn't able to make trips to the other provinces. It's my dream to go on a pilgrimage trip to all the major temples in all provinces of South Korea. Hopefully, this dream will become a reality. Before it can become a reality, I'll first do a virtual tour of the Korean Temples that i have so much of deep feelings for. Though I have never been to the temples, I'd always feel so touched whenever i catch a glimpse of the temples on Arirang TV or KBS World. Many times, the deep feeling in my heart just couldn't hold my tears back. I am unable to explain why, but a trip to a temple in Seoul last year could perhaps explain why.

My first introduction of South Korea's temple is the one and only temple of great historical that i have been to-----Bongeunsa Temple (봉은사).

Bongeunsa, a 1200 year old temple is located in Samseong-dong, in Seoul’s central region of Gangnam. It's just a few mins of walking time from COEX, the famous shopping mall in the region. The temple is known as Seoul’s symbolic temple not only for its external scale, but also for its historical importance. During the Japanese occupation of Korea, it served as the head temple managing about 80 temples in Seoul and Gyeonggi-do Province. Also during the Joseon Dynasty’s harsh oppression of Buddhism, it was the head temple for the Korean Seon (Jap: Zen) Order and definitely contributed to sustaining the lifeline of Korean Buddhism.

The day i went to Bongeunsa fell on the 1st day of the Lunar Month (初一). I didn't plan for this, but since it's on an auspicious day, I decided to chant more in Bongeunsa. I went to every hall to pray and chant, including making light offerings. It was pretty crowded with devotees who have gone to the temple to pray and receive dharma teachings on the 1st day of the lunar month.


The Buddha statue in the picture is really magnificient.

I sent my wishes to the Buddha at Bongensa, praying for a wish that has yet come true, hoping that it'll be fulfilled soon. I left Bongeunsa with a light heart, feeling glad that i have finally completed one of my Korea Temple visit.
Really look forward to pilgrimage trip to the other temples in all other provinces.

6 comments:

폴린 aka ポーリーン... said...

go plan one such trip for yourself...:) u deserve it..

Karma Sonam Lhamo said...

wah..know what, i didn't expect anyone to read my blog, cuz i haven't blogged for months. Thought friends will just forget about my blog after checking a few times, only to find no new posts. hehe...

w@nyE said...

haha...then u post for urself 2 read?...hee...tis add is under my fav so im checkin every nw n then...believin tt i wil b updated smdae...hee...tada n its updated...haha...regrdin ur previous post...yep JIAYOU...do grab time 2 rest...im v tired too coz of production n upcomin bowlin trainins for A'div...bt im sure we can do it! GAMBATTE! share ur happenins here so tt we can jiayou tgt n u can tk a break at e same time=)...hee...yup rmb we r always there 4 u =D

小虎子 said...

What is the Chinese name of this temple?

Karma Sonam Lhamo said...

it's 奉恩寺.:-)

폴린 aka ポーリーン... said...

haha.. i do read, k?? so pls update your blog more frequently...:)